I'm mthree. Those are my initials. Always have been, and thanks to a hubby with a "M" last name; always will be.

I've been a designer for over ten years, I was an animator and a filmmaker once, I was a bride before I was a photographer, I'm a new business owner, but I've always been an artist.

You can get a glimpse of where I've been, a better look at where I am and a peek at where I'm going right here.



You gotta S -T-R-E-T-C-H your browser window to see the BIG pictures...



Saturday, January 3, 2009

Miscellaneous Monday

I watched a portion of the "wedding bowl" on MTV on New Year's Day (hey, having firmly committed myself to loafing all day, the options were limited) as part of their "Engaged and Underage" show. I knew it was going to be laughable, but it actually just made me sad. Here were these couples getting married in the MTV studios in Times Square, mostly with family that disagreed, and with constant interruptions from one of two hosts who were continually contriving moments for the camera and forcing "how do you feel" comments out of the Bride and Groom. It just made me sad. To see the beginning of a marriage reduced to a half-hearted spectacle that gave it no reverence, respect or uniqueness to the couple. Shame on MTV.

---

Major props to Miss Champagne for featuring one of my engagement photos in her post about Winter Engagement Sessions on Wedding Bee. I love Wedding Bee and read it everyday, and it was all too exciting to be scrolling down and see one of my shots, and one by my friend Dave Jackson. I'm honored to be in the company of the photographer's work she pictured. Thanks Miss Champagne!

---

Last week was Wedding Week on The Morning Blend. I know I've mentioned this service before, but if you haven't taken the time to check out The White Box, you really should. Monica Gill (the owner of The White Box) was on The Morning Blend talking all about how the boutique can serve a bride and also about their new White Line - which is a number you can call with any wedding question at all and get an answer - totally for free (just like The Box). Check out her segment here to get a feel for it yourself. With a new year and I'm sure many a long to-do list in the hands of my brides - I urge you all to take advantage of The White Box. It really is a free, fun, and easy place to visit and get much of your wedding woes and questions worked out and answered. You will be so grateful you stopped in. Monica and Meghan are fantastically nice and beyond helpful - no sales pitch or pressure involved. If there had been a White Box while I was planning my wedding, I would have literally taken up residence there.

---

I've been monitoring comments on the blog here for awhile to guard against spam (which happens all too frequently) and I have a pretty open policy about what I let thru. I love comments, they truly make my day. I want the comment section of this blog to be an open forum for discussion. However, I will not post negative comments unless you have put your name to it. It is much too easy to hide behind the anonymity of the internet. If you really do feel a certain way about something I can have respect for that, but only if you are willing to stand behind your words. The only exception to this is if your comment is hurtful to one of my clients - even with your name on it, I won't let that go through (this has never happened, but just to be clear). I just wanted to state the policy once and for all, so that everyone is aware because I received such a comment last week from "anonymous" and I didn't want the poster to think I only post "yeah for Molly" type comments.

---

The first Mthree wedding of 2009 is already in the bag. Hard to believe isn't it? Congratulations to Katie & Aaron who tied the knot at the Milwaukee Art Museum on January 2nd. Watch for the pictures later this week.

---

I finally jumped on the Twitter bandwagon (thanks for that push, Monica) and I'm already addicted. You can tweet and follow along with me at : http://twitter.com/mthreestudio

---



I read this amazing story yesterday and was so moved. Here is this art student from the same college I went to, and he managed to pull of this amazing feat - getting two stateless women from Thailand into the states for a college education so that they can go back and help others in their country who are forced into the sex trade - and now it might all fall apart. I don't know if anyone out there can help them - but may you can, or you know someone who can, or you are willing to put the story on your blog. To Joseph Quinnell - you are an inspiration, and the real embodiment of UW-Steven's Point.

---

I know many are returning to work today after the many breaks of the Holidays. That is true for me too. Have a great week!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you've chosen to be open about comments, I will give a frank opinion.

I think anybody who is reading this and thinking about hiring a wedding photographer should consider whether they are being sold a very expensive package that they don't need or want.

The average wedding costs about $25000 now. People actually take out mortgages on their houses to pay for these things.

The photographer is often the second most expensive thing after the reception, often costing several thousand dollars alone. If you have the cash and want to pay for that, fine, but if anyone is telling you that the "normal" or "expected" package costs 3 or 4 thousand dollars, beware. And NEVER take on debt to pay for pictures.

Molly said...

Gary-
I am happy to publish your comment, though it would be nice if in the future, it was on subject to the post. While my blog is essentially about my wedding photography business, the subject of what such a service should cost was not being discussed.

That being said, I completely agree with you - each person should pay what they are comfortable with and what they can afford. I have never, nor would I ever, advocate anyone going into debt to pay for their wedding. Everyone's priorities within their own planning are different - some choose to put more emphasis on location, food, photography, entertainment, etc.

And, the average cost of a wedding in the Milwaukee area according to www.costofawedding.com runs from 20,000 - 55,000, depending on which zipcode you plug in.

Thanks for your readership!

Monica said...

I'm rather caught by surprise after reading the comments thus far. Since the subject here has strayed from anything related to today's post, I wish to add that I have read every single one of Molly's posts, and never has she advocated that any couple spend more than they can afford on any aspect of their wedding. I know she takes her pricing and any changes to her packages very seriously, and that she has options for a variety of budgets, so I guess I'm not really sure how this topic relates to Mthree Studio at all.

Anyway, what I had initially intended to comment about was the photo featured by Miss Champagne on Weddingbee. How fun is that, Molly?

Thanks for the shout-out as well!

Anonymous said...

Truly an amazing story about those two Thai women and a man that is championing a cause in which men are often silent. Thanks for sharing that. I've seen the devastation of the Thai sex trade in the redlight districts of Bangkok yet even I can hardly grasp how monumental this would be for these women to go back to their home country with this kind of education. I believe that education may be the greatest combatant in fighting human trafficking and slavery all over the world...I hope they don't give up!

oh, and p.s.: you're still photographing my wedding (one day...please, Lord!) no matter how famous and expensive you get :)

Claire said...

MTV has made me sad for a long time. They show the trashiest, nastiest, most disgusting shows on television. They have no reverence or respect for any form of intimate relationships, so it doesn't shock me that they treated weddings in that way. We have actually blocked the station in our house, b/c in no way do I want my children (or myself actually) exposed to the content of their "reality" shows.

Seriously, what happened to music videos, and the occasional Road Rules?

Harmony said...

As on of molly's former brides, assistant to mthreestudio, and friend i can honestly say that she is always upfront and honest about her prices. She encourages her clients or any potential clients that come to her to see if she is the right photographer for them. If her prices are not in a couples price range she does not push them into anything they can not afford. I believe Mthreestudio photography packages are fair and also lend a hand to a variety of budgets. The most important thing to Molly is that her clients are happy with their photography choice- whether that be with Mthreestudio, or another photographer.

On to my real comment! MTV has definately taken the joy of a wedding day and turned it into something it isn't- definatley shame on them!

Molly said...

Thanks for jumping to my defense Monica and Harmony, I really do appreciate it.

I'm not sure that Gary was taking a stab at me in particular (though if he was, he did so without due cause), just wedding photography costs. As I pointed out, the comment was off-topic and off-base. But I said I would publish them if your name is on them, so I did.

Let's end this discussion now and move on to things that are more fun!